Monday, August 22, 2011

The Most Important Part of School

As Fred arrived home from school today I asked him how his day was and what he did at school. Excitedly he said, "We got to go to recess three times again today!" I chuckled to myself because that has been his first response every day for the past week. A short while later Fred sat down at the dining room table and opened his lunchbox because he said he was hungry. As I glanced to see what food he had left from lunch I quickly discovered why he was hungry. In his lunchbox he had a full sandwich and an unopened bag of chips. I said, "Fred, you didn't eat your sandwich? And your chips haven't been opened? What did you eat for lunch?" Fred replied, "My cheese." I guess the most important part of school to a new kindergartner is getting out to recess.