Sunday, June 29, 2008

Summer 2008 Hebdolympics!

The results of the 3rd semiannual Hebdolympics, held at Jacob Lake, AZ during this summer's family vacation, are just in. The winners (and current holders of the coveted Golden Goblet) are none other than Mom and Dad. With a combined stellar performance by Dad in nearly every event and Mom taking it for the team in "Fear Factor" they squeaked ahead through a very narrow race for the title. Here's the lowdown on the rest of the competition.

Dad and Adam tied for first place in the "Iron Chef" competition with their Olympic rings and tractor pancakes. Other impressive creations included an impressive impression of Jacob Lake complete with pine tree (Mom), Volleyball (Laurie), a map of the United States (Jason), a portrait of the infamous Juanita (the most infamous of Honda civics by Kiley), a cat (or butterfly depending on who you asked by Tom), a worm (I mean snake by Jamie), and a beautiful flower (Maren).

Adam swept "Square of Fortune" (Boggle) by finding stink on the board, although he missed stinker and stinkier that really would have gotten some good points.

Dad showed what a sportsman he is in "Deadliest Catch" (Go Fish) to further the lead, then went on to easily eliminate the competition in "Biggest Loser" (Soda guzzling contest) with Tom and Jason coming in a close second and third.

Without a doubt, the most memorable of events was "Fear Factor" (Oyster eating contest) with absolutely phenomenol performances by Kiley, Mom and Jamie (Please see pictures for further details).



Later the next day Adam, Laurie, Tom, and Jamie showed their athletic prowess as champions of the Hebdon "World Series" (Softball) and Tom, Adam, Jason and Dad competed in Homerun Derby.

Jason and Kiley won "Antique Roadshow" (Nature treasure hunt) with Jason's Geode and bird's nest and Kiley's Horny Toad. Other cool stuff found were the Grand Canyon (Actually, we don't think Dad really found it, but he did show us how to get there so we gave him credit for it), Jacob Lake (if it weren't for Mom we never would have know it existed), absolutely spectacular cocoon (Adam), caterpillars (Laurie and Maren), Jason's Geode after he set it down (Tom), and a Nylon (Jamie - you'll have to ask her about it).

Unfortunately, due to time constraints we were unable to compete in "Mythbusters", "Survivor", "American Idol", "You've Got Talent", and "Deadliest Catch II".

We had a great time with everyone and lots of fun camping and enjoying Jacob Lake and the Grand Canyon. Matt and Meg were greatly missed, but we expect the competition to increase with their talent next season. It definitely was a superb vacation and we look forward to the next. We anticipate that all Hebdolympians will be training extensively in the coming months as they continue their quest for the ever coveted Golden Goblet!

7 comments:

Kiley said...

Hooray for Hebdolympics! We had so much fun!

Jamie and Tom said...

hahaha laurie this is the funniest thing i've ever seen! The oyster pictures are classic!!! That vacation was so fun! I'm so glad you guys were able to come up! It is always so fun to see you guys and the kids! We miss not having you around up here! and I'm SO excited you have a blog!! They are the greatest things ever! keep in touch k! we love you!

Katrina said...

What fun pictures! You guys all look happy, except maybe the "Fear Factor" part. Love you all, Hebdons!

Jessica said...

Looks like you had a great trip! I am envisioning an expanded Hebdolymipics at the next family party, perhaps? Great pictures!

Nat said...

What?! You guys had another baby? When did that happen? I accidentally happened upon your blog, so I hope you don't mind my snooping around! Oh, this is Natalie Bates...Olsen. Clint and I have a one year old baby, and we named him ADAM! Great name! It looks like you guys are having a lot of fun!

Luke and Mary said...

ADAM! This is Mary (Frandsen) Peacock..iIt's been so very very long! I didn't even know you had another baby after Fred. Congratulations!
I was really disappointed I couldn't make it to Tom and Jamie's reception at your parents house because I really wanted to see you... and of course your famed Paradise and your parents house/yard you were always telling me about! You have an adorable family and I am very happy to see you've joined the blogging community. We are at peacockpostings.blogspot.com

blair and maisy said...

You guys are so creative! Like I said, We're going to have to steal all of your ideas to do with our family because that sounded like lots of fun.